Apple Asks US Supreme Court to Rule Against Samsung Over Patents

Apple Asks US Supreme Court to Rule Against Samsung Over Patents

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Apple sued Samsung in 2011 alleging infringement of the iPhone’s patents
  • Samsung was ordered to pay Apple $930 million after a jury trial
  • Samsung has been trying to reduce that figure ever since.

Apple Inc on Friday asked the US Supreme Court to clear the way for the iPhone maker to secure hundreds of millions in damages from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd in a case over smartphone design patents.

The world’s top smartphone rivals have been feuding over patents since 2011, when Apple sued Samsung in a northern California court alleging infringement of the iPhone’s patents, designs and trademarked appearance.

In its legal brief on Friday, Apple said Samsung had not provided evidence to support its argument that design patent damages should be decided on one component of a smartphone, rather than the entire product. Apple said there was no need for the Supreme Court to send the case back to a lower court for further proceedings.

A Samsung representative declined to immediately provide comment. The South Korean company has said that a ruling for Apple would diminish innovation and negatively impact the economy.

Following a 2012 jury trial, Samsung was ordered to pay Apple $930 million. Samsung has been trying to reduce that figure ever since.

Its efforts were partially rewarded in May 2015, when the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversed the damages on trademark liability. The appeals court, however, upheld Samsung’s infringement of the iPhone’s patents, including those related to the designs of the iPhone’s rounded-corner front face, bezel and colorful grid of icons.

That brought Samsung’s exposure down to $548 million, of which $399 million involves design patents. Additional damages, based on five other phone models, could also be awarded depending on the outcome of appeals.

Samsung asked the Supreme Court to review the case, calling the damages awarded excessive. In March, the justices agreed to look into whether courts should award in damages the total profits from a product that infringes a design patent, if the patent applies only to a component of the product.

In a filing last month, the US Department of Justice said the case should be sent back to a lower court.

But Apple said Congress has been clear on the issue of design patent damages, and there was no reason the Supreme Court should allow Samsung to make additional arguments.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

Tags: Apple, Apple vs Samsung, Internet, Mobiles, Samsung
[“Source-Gadgets”]

What Good Are PM Modi’s Foreign Trips, Asks Arvind Kejriwal

What Good Are PM Modi's Foreign Trips, Asks Arvind Kejriwal

The Aam Aadmi Party leader has been targeting PM Modi’s flagship ‘Make in India’ project.

NEW DELHI:  Arvind Kejriwal today questioned Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s foreign tours and wondered whether it suited his stature to visit companies for investments.

“PM Modi’s US trip ends. Time to ponder what has country achieved from his foreign trips so far? Does it suit the stature of an Indian PM to visit individual cos seeking investments?” the Delhi Chief Minister said in a series of tweets.

Coming up with “Make India” against PM Modi’s “Make in India”, Mr Kejriwal tweeted: “Chinese first built China and then all corporate giants vied to invest in China. So, lets first Make India. If we make India strong, investments will come at our terms, else investors will dictate terms.”

Mr Kejriwal has been targeting PM Modi’s flagship project aimed at making India the manufacturing hub of the world; he says infrastructure development is more important.

The ruling BJP said it was “surprising” that Mr Kejriwal had asked in tweets what the prime minister had achieved.

“Such tweets should not be made by the chief minister of a state while the PM is on a visit, it sends a wrong message. The visit of the PM to Silicon Valley and many other tech offices brought a new understanding of technology,” said BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra.

PM Modi returns today after a five-day visit to New York and California, where he met top American CEOs and visited the headquarters of internet giants like Google and Facebook.

Mr Kejriwal was not the only critic who commented on PM Modi’s visit on twitter.

“Oh the irony of listening to the PM talking about digital India while we in J&K spent 3 days totally disconnected due to his party & allies,” said former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, in a comment that was retweeted by Mr Kejriwal.

Mr Abdullah was referring to the Jammu and Kashmir government’s decision to ban internet temporarily amid protests over a beef ban.

[“source-ndtv”]

Mumbai Police Asks YouTube, facebook to dam Tanmay Bhat Video

Mumbai Police Asks YouTube, Facebook to Block Tanmay Bhat Video

Mumbai Police stated Monday they had requested YouTube and facebook to dam a video poking a laughat cricket wonderful Sachin Tendulkar, sparking the u . s . a .‘s modern row over freedom of expression.

comic Tanmay Bhat published the clip, which also mocked famous Indian film singer Lata Mangeshkar, on his fb page ultimate week, angering proper-wing politicians in Mumbai who complained to police.

Police within the western Indian metropolis received court cases – one from a nearby politician belonging to PM Narendra Modi’s ruling Bhartiya Janata birthday celebration who stated the clip was defamatory.

the other become from Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, force spokesman Sangramsingh Nishandar stated.

we’ve sought a prison opinion. in the interim we have written to YouTube and fb to block the above-citedvideo,” Nishandar advised AFP.

within the -minute clip Bhat, a member of on line comedy organization AIB, mimics a communiquebetween Tendulkar and Mangeshkar.

He said Mangeshkar, who’s 86, gave the impression of she’d been stored in water for eight days andcautioned she need to die.

Bhat posted a remark with the video describing it as “nonsense”.

also I glaringly love Lata and Sachin, just having some fun,” he wrote.

AIB fell foul of government final 12 months after they had been on the centre of an obscenityinvestigation over some sexually explicit jokes in a comedy “roast” display proposing several Bollywood stars.

Many social media users accused Bhatt’s video of being vulgar and unfunny on Monday but additionallydefended his right to make it.

“If best political events got this worked up about rape, communalism & homophobia like they didapproximately@thetanmay’s video! #TanmayBhat,” wrote one Twitter consumer.

totally agree. video is crass & no longer funny. however does he have proper to make it? Hell yes. #TanmayBhat,” wrote another.

download the devices 360 app for Android and iOS to stay updated with the modern-day tech news, product critiques, and distinct deals on the popular mobiles.

Tags: AIB, facebook, home enjoyment, net, Social, YouTube

Delhi excessive court docket Asks Centre, Google approximately ‘right to Be Forgotten’

Delhi High Court Asks Centre, Google About 'Right to Be Forgotten'

Does proper to privacy include proper to delink from the net the irrelevant facts, the Delhi excessivecourtroom has asked the Centre and Google.

Justice Manmohan sought the responses of the Ministry of verbal exchange and records technology (MOC & IT), Google Inc., Google India Pvt Ltd and IKanoon software program improvement Pvt Ltd on a plea of an NRI in search of that he be “delinked” from statistics regarding a criminal case related to his spouse in which he turned into now not a celebration.

The petitioner has sought the comfort saying it might affect his employment possibilities asorganizations regularly seek about prospective employees on the internet and because the criminalcase pops up on searching his call, it’d deliver an affect that he changed into concerned in it.

His petition has raised the questionwhether or not information controllers or intermediaries such asGoogle, are required to delete records this is insufficient, inappropriate or now not relevant in the event that they acquire a request for removal of such statistics“.

The petitioner, in his plea filed via advocates Rohit Madan and Akash Vajpai, has said the crook caseregarding his spouse and his mom against every different pops up when his name is searched on theinternet.

“Petitioner got to realize that all and sundry who searches his name on Google will locate the aforesaid judgment (of the crook case) on the second variety of seek result and consequently giving the impact toanybody that become worried in some type of crook proceeding in India,” the plea stated.

The plea has additionally said, “petitioner tried to touch Respondent four (IKanoon) and made a request for taking down the aforesaid judgment thru letter dated January 25, 2016 as petitioner wanted this order to be expunged, from website of Respondent four.”

It additionally said that the petitioner had contacted Respondent 2 and three (Google Inc and Google India) and sent an e mail for doing away with the concerned Uniform aid Locator (URL) from the hunt result.

in line with the petition, it become asked in the email that “fabric negative to the petitioner have to not bethe primary hit in the search result as he has no role in the aforesaid case and as it become giving a badcall to the Petitioner in order to further jeopardize his prospective employment possibilities, being an NRIresiding in Dubai employed with prestigious organisation.”

“This problem relating the crook case in which his call has appeared have been absolutely resolved andconsequently that connection with his call within the aforesaid criminal case is now totally irrelevant,” the petition has contended adding that no longer getting rid of the same “violates his proper toprivateness” and also “creates a horrific social photoabout him.

The petition has also stated a eu courtroom of Justice verdict ordering Google “to put off the linksassociated with a person on its internet site and efficaciously examine a ‘proper to be forgotten’ or ‘rightto delink’ into present ecu Union information safety law“.

right to delink broadly, offers that an character can be allowed to manipulate the statistics availableabout them on the internet by means of putting off such records in certain situations,” the petition hassaid.

download the devices 360 app for Android and iOS to stay updated with the today’s tech information, product evaluations, and exceptional offers on the popular mobiles.

Tags: Apps, Google, Google India, India, net, proper to be Forgotten

Bangladesh Asks New York Fed, Philippines to Help Retrieve Stolen Money

Bangladesh Asks New York Fed, Philippines to Help Retrieve Stolen Money

The new governor of Bangladesh’s central bank has sent formal letters to the New York Fed, as well as central bank and money laundering chiefs in the Philippines, asking them to help recover its stolen $81 million, a senior central bank official said on Sunday.

The news came as Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith said the government was waiting to hear the recommendations of an investigation committee to decide whether the central bank should file a suit against the Fed after one of the biggest cyber-heists in history.

Unknown hackers breached the computer systems of Bangladesh Bank in early February and attempted to steal $951 million from its account at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which it uses for international settlements.

Some attempted transfers were blocked, but $81 million was transferred to accounts in the Philippines belonging to casino operators.

The central bank official told Reuters that Fazle Kabir, who became governor a week ago, had asked the NY Fed chief and the heads of the Philippines central bank and money laundering agency to assist Bangladesh in retrieving the funds.

Kabir asked the Fed to investigate if there had been any lapses or whether it had any involvement in the heist, the official said.

Kabir sent separate letters to the ambassador of Bangladesh at the UN headquarters, and its permanent representative, urging them to pursue the NY Fed.

The previous central bank governor, Atiur Rahman, resigned earlier this month after details emerged in the Philippines that $30 million of the money was delivered in cash to a casino junket operator in Manila, while the rest went to two casinos.

“In his letters the new governor sought all kind of help from them to retrieve the stolen money as we are following multiple efforts for the sake of the country,” the official said.

Last week Bangladesh also formally sought assistance from the US Federal Bureau of Investigation to track down the cyber-crooks.

Bangladesh has appointed law firms to weigh its options vis-a-vis the NY Fed.

“We will wait till the recommendations of the government- formed investigation committee,” Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith told Reuters on Sunday, referring to a three-member committee headed by Mohammad Farash Uddin, a former central bank governor.

“We will act as per its recommendations.”

Earlier this month Muhith said Dhaka might resort to suing the Fed to recover the money: “The Fed must take responsibility,” he said.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

Download the Gadgets 360 app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with the latest tech news, product reviews, and exclusive deals on the popular mobiles.

Tags: Bangladesh, Hackers, Hacking, Internet
[“source-Gadgets”]